Current Funding Priorities
Humanities Center Annual Fund
Of primary importance are gifts to the Annual Fund, which enable the Center to pursue its goal of vitalizing the humanities at Stanford and beyond. They provide unrestricted support and secure the Center’s ability to respond in a timely fashion to emerging ideas and needs within the humanities. Annual gifts can be made online to support the Center. Some examples of initiatives and activities your annual gift will help sustain include:
• Undergraduate fellowships for seniors writing their theses
• Supplemental funding for graduate and external faculty stipends
• Manuscript review workshops for untenured, assistant professors
• Student journalism projects that highlight the humanities at Stanford
• Cross-campus collaborations and events
Director’s Fund: Gifts of $10,000 and Above
The Center seeks annual gifts at the $10,000 level and above to provide a source of ongoing support. Established in 2015, this fund allows the director the discretion to pursue ambitious new initiatives in support of innovation in the humanities; to sustain and strengthen core programs; and to respond in a timely way to unforeseen financial needs in general support of the Humanities Center. Donors to this fund are supporting the long-term mission of the Center, and become members of the Director’s Circle.
International Visitors Program
The International Visitors Program is designed to strengthen Stanford’s global connections in the humanities and social sciences by bringing renowned public intellectuals, scholars, and political leaders to Stanford for short-term, high-impact residencies. These visitors establish fruitful, cross-cultural connections with faculty and students by leading sections in Stanford undergraduate and graduate classes, giving lectures and presentations in their areas of expertise, and carrying out joint research projects with Stanford colleagues.
• A pledge of $20,000 a year for three years will name an international visitor each year
• Gifts of $10,000 will fund the stipend of one international visitor
• Gifts of $5,000 will fund housing or travel expenses for one international visitor
• Gifts of any amount will provide essential programmatic support